5 Things that Purpose-Centric Businesses Do
How companies create remarkable.
For the second year, Mth Degree attended the Conscious Capitalism Conference. For some time, we’ve infused a lot of knowledge into our company since attending these events, and have focused on a purpose, a brand promise and our core values.
You might be asking, what do we mean by being “conscious”? Tony Shwartz, CEO of the Energy Project and presenter at the event says, “at the most basic level, consciousness simply means being conscious of more. That begins with self-awareness — the willingness to look inside, to acknowledge our limitations, uncertainties and fears, and to take responsibility for our actions.”
This self-awareness for companies begins with creating clarity of why your company exists, beyond making money. With this in mind, we’d like to put a spotlight on a few key things that we’ve seen purpose-centric businesses do.
1. They Lead from the Inside Out. It speaks to the importance of aligning the individual, the team and the organization with a common goal and set of values as a measure of importance for any business strategy to be well executed.
2. They Bring Humanity to Business. All companies, be they private or public, are run for and by humans. This fact is inseparable. Purpose-driven companies are essentially human, as they care for and about their customers, employees, partners, community and shareholders.
3. They Thrive on Love. Raj Sisodia, co-author of “Conscious Capitalism” and “Firms of Endearment” notes that, “today’s greatest companies are fueled by passion and purpose, not cash. They earn large profits by helping all their stakeholders thrive: customers, investors, employees, partners, communities, and society. These rare, authentic firms of endearment act in powerfully positive ways that stakeholders recognize, value, admire, and even love.”
4. They Operate with the Long View in Mind. It’s our firm belief that for any business to be sustainable in the long haul it needs to clarify and operate from a central purpose, beyond just making money. Why? A purpose rectifies why a company exists, not just today, but the difference it’s trying to make in the world.
5. They Create Remarkable. Because purpose-centric companies have a reason to exist beyond making money, these companies create products and services that solve a need for customers. In doing so, they focus on creating special products and remarkable experiences, thus creating a loyal following.
At Mth Degree, our purpose is that “We Create Remarkable.” By this, we work without limits to improve the world of our clients and their audiences through remarkable branded and marketing experiences. We do this through our brand promise of moving people—intellectually and emotionally.
If you want a more trusting team, a culture of belonging or a magnetic brand that attracts more of the right customers, I can help. If you'd like to explore if working together makes sense, drop me a line.